☆☆☆☆☆-- ATTENTION --☆☆☆☆☆
double-check on best YAKIMA RACKS product prices...
email us, telephone, livechat
our popular PRICE MATCH PLUS+ program — details
YAKIMA RACKS 20% OFF SALE RIGHT NOW!
+FREE SHIPPING* on orders of $99.00+ (contiguous USA)
*please note: deep discount clearance/closeout 'specials',
'red hot returns' etc. excluded from current website coupons.
*cargo roof boxes, spare parts excluded from 20% off sale.
ATTENTION, PLEASE NOTE:
Also available: Yakima Mako Aero Saddles
*includes universal installation hardware for mounting directly to factory racks and any aftermarket brand elliptical / aerodynamic shaped crossbars
The Yakima Mako Saddles Kayak Rack (8004037) features universal, form fitting cradle saddles that fit snugly to all types of kayak hulls. The innovative Dynaflex pads are very flexible when loading a kayak, then firmly grip hull for solid, stable hold during transport. The Yakima Mako kayak rack now also includes the proprietary Yakima Mako Pads, delivering easier, more efficient sliding of kayak into position on the saddles + ensuring kayak hull protection. One heavy-duty kayak lash-down strap and one bow/stern tie-down strap included with each pair of Mako Aero cradles.
Out of the box, the Mako is equipped to install on base roof rack system round crossbar and square crossbar styles (from Yakima, Thule, SportRack, ProRack, Malone, Inno + other brands). However, a variety of crossbar adapters can be used for wide ranging compatibility. Fits Whispbar Through Bar, Flush Bar and Rail Bar car rack system crossbars using Yakima MightyMount 32H snap-arounds. And for attaching the Mako Saddles to the Whispbar HD system cross bars, use the Yakima MightyMount 34H snap-arounds.
Additionally, when Makos are used in combination with the Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts (not included; see accessory add-ons below) they will install on virtually all factory rack cross bars, Thule AeroBlades, and any modern style elliptical / aerodynamic shaped roof rack crossbars. Alternatively, the 8004044 Yakima Mako Aero Saddles include universal mounting hardware for attaching directly to factory racks and any aftermarket brand elliptical / aerodynamic shaped bars.
- Sold as a half set, allowing you to choose your desired complete kayak carrier configuration by pairing with other half set options, such as the Yakima HullyRollers (sold separately; see accessory add-ons below) or simply adding a second 1/2 set of Yakima Mako Saddles.
- The Mako kayak rack fits all kayak hull shapes using an ergonomic, form-fitting cradle design that firmly grips the boat for secure and worry-free transport.
- Dynaflex pad technology provides great flexibility when loading a kayak, then firmly grips for a worry-free, solid hold during transport. The Yakima Mako kayak rack now also includes Yakima Racks' proprietary Mako Pads, allowing for easier sliding of kayak into position on the saddles + ensuring kayak hull protection.
- Connects directly to Yakima base rack round cross bars, Thule square load bars + round or square car rack crossbars from brands such as Inno, SportRack, ProRack, Malone etc.
- The Mako Saddle kayak carrier also works on virtually all factory rack cross bars, Thule Racks AeroBlade load bars, Thule Xsporter truck racks, and other modern style elliptical / aerodynamic shaped roofrack cross bars, when used in combination with a set of Yakima Universal MightyMounts or Horizontal Mighty Mounts (not included; see accessory add-ons below). (Alternatively, the Yakima Mako Aero Saddles include universal mounts for attaching directly to factory racks or any aftermarket brand elliptical / aerodynamic crossbar shapes and designs.)
- Fits Whispbar Rail Bar, Flush Bar, and Through Bar system cross bars using Yakima MightyMount 32H snap-arounds. Select the Yakima MightyMount 34H snap-arounds if using the kayak carrier on the heavy-duty Whispbar HD crossbars.
- We suggest purchasing a pair of locking kayak straps to protect and prevent kayak theft when left unattended (all locking kayak straps sold separately; see accessory add-ons below).
- Yakima's Accessory Lock Housing units (not included; see accessory add-ons below) are the solution for locking the Mako Saddles kayak rack to your automobile.
- Long lasting stainless steel hardware.
- The included heavy-duty strap has an innovative quick release chuck, for easy removal when not in use. Padded buckle also protects both vehicle and boat from scratches.
- One Yakima Bow/Stern tie-down strap included for additional transport safety.
- Easy-to-follow 8004037 Yakima Mako Saddles installation instructions manual included.
- Yakima Racks Lifetime Warranty!
Yakima Mako Saddles Kayak Rack Resource Wall
Read the reviews below to find out what other customers are saying about the Yakima Racks 04037 Mako kayak carrier cradles.
Contribute Your Review of the Yakima Mako Kayak Rack
Great All The Way Around!
this Yakima Mako kayak saddles review by Reif
vehicle year/make/model: 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
item(s) transported: Kayak, TT Bikes, MTB Bikes
Da-dunt...Da-dunt...Da-dunt...Da-dunt...Da-dunt...Da-dunt.Da-dunt.Da-duntDa-duntDa-dunt! The MAKO is a Killer product and ORS Racks Direct provided Killer selection and customer service - Thank you! Great all the way around! I will be back to buy what I need soon. You are my supplier of choice.
Discuss the 8004037 Yakima Mako cradles kayak rack. Use the form below to fire away with your questions, answers and general comments about this product.
Tim asks - Can I use the Yakima Universal Mighty Mounts with the Yakima Mako Saddles and Hully Rollers on 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser factory rack crossbars so I can carry my Native Watercraft 14.5 Ultimate kayak?
ORS Crew answers - Unfortunately the Yakima Mako Saddles & Hully Roller with Universal Mighty Mount clamps will not work on the 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser cross bars. No kayak racks are directly compatible with those cross bars. You will need to first install a multi-purpose base rack system on the factory side rails. This will provide the cross bars to enable you to then connect any kayak carriers. The Yakima RailGrab roof rack kit system (includes a set of four Yakima RailGrab Towers and a pair of 58 inch cross bars with end caps) is highly recommended. You can then attach any kayak carriers, including the Yakima Mako Saddles – HullyRoller kayak rack combo to the RailGrab crossbars.
JMorris asks - I want to carry a Necky Spike kayak and maybe another Old Town Otter tandem kayak on a 2006 Honda Civic 4-door sedan. Would the Hully Roller-Mako Saddles system be a good choice? Do I also need the Q Towers base rack?
ORS Crew answers - This is an excellent choice for a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid kayak rack system to carry the Necky Spike and Old Town Otter tandem kayaks. You will need to first install the Yakima Q Towers base rack (includes Q Towers, pair of Q99 and pair of Q131 clips and pair of 58 inch cross bars). Then attach two complete sets of Mako Saddles and Hully Rollers to the cross bars to carry the 2 kayaks.
Mitch Olson asks - I've got a 2002 Honda Civic with two Wilderness Systems kayaks. Both are Pamlico, one 100 and one 120. We have a Yakima rack with the Big Stack carrier, but we're not 100% happy with it. We want to go instead with Mako Saddles (and also possibly Hully Rollers) but aren't sure whether or not they would fit on our rack. Can it be done?
ORS Crew answers - The Big Stack is definitely less than ideal for those styles of kayaks. You are way better off with the Mako Saddles and/or Hully Rollers set up. You can totally make this happen on your current Yakima rack on your 2002 Honda Civic rooftop. The only issue to consider is that you will need the longer 58 inch length crossbars to allow enough room to carry the two kayaks side by side. Not sure what your current length cross bars are.
RUN/KAYAK GIRL asks - I am using these saddles and the HullyRoller kayak rollers on my 2010 Lexus 450h rooftop. However, there doesn't seem to be any convenient points located underneath the car for attaching the Bow-Stern tie downs to the front and back of the 2010 Lexus 450h. Any ideas?
ORS Crew answers - Thule Racks offers excellent accessories for providing bow and stern tie-down points on cars that do not have them integrated into the underside of the vehicle. The Thule 530 Quick Loop is the easist to use on both the front and back of the car.
ORS Racks Direct Demonstration Video featuring the Yakima Racks Mako Saddles & Hully Roller kayak rack combination.
Yakima Racks Official Mako Saddle / HullyRoller Video
Customer Installation Pictures
Proud current customer with ORS Racks Direct?
Yakima Kayak Racks | Yakima HullyRollers (1/2 set) for Car Roof Racks - 8004035
Yakima ShowBoat 66 Roof Rack Roller Lift Assist - Universal Yakima Canoe-Kayak Rollers - 8004068
Seattle Sports Boat Keeperz 2UP Two Kayaks Hanger - also Wall Mount Storage Rack for Canoes, SUP's, Surfboards, Ladders etc. - 026015
Yakima Accessory Lock Housing for Non-Locking Rack Attachments - 8007220
Yakima RipCord Locking Cargo Straps (one pair) - Lockable Universal Heavy-Duty Rack Straps for Surfboards, SUP, Boats, Ladders, Luggage etc. - 8004048
Thule 831 Locking Straps (one pair) - 13' Lockable Rack Straps for Ladder, Surfboard, SUP, Kayak, Canoe etc.
Lashlock Car Roof Rack Locking Systems - Looking for kayak locks, canoe locks or surfboard locks? - The Lash Lock is your answer
Canoe-Kayak Lasso Security Cable System - Kayak Lock / Canoe Lock for Roof Racks
Thule 854 Water Slide Mat - Canoe Rack / Kayak Rack Accessory
All Kayak Carts & Canoe Carts for Transporting Canoes & Kayaks to the Water
All Yakima Boat Accessories for Canoe & Kayak Car Racks
Yakima Spare Parts & Replacement Parts for All Yakima Racks
Roll over tabs above for product reviews, discussion, videos, install photos, additional recommended accessories & more.
Attaches to round and square style cross bars (from Yakima, Thule, SportRack, Malone, Inno, ProRack + other brands). Also, when used in combination with Yakima Horizontal or Universal Mighty Mounts (not included; see accessory add-ons above) the Mako Saddles are compatible with virtually all factory rack cross bars, Thule AeroBlade, and any aerodynamically shaped roof rack crossbars. Fits Whispbar Through, Flush and Rail cross bars using Whispbar-Yakima 32H MightyMounts. For installing on Whispbar HD crossbars use the Whispbar-Yakima 32H MightyMounts. At order checkout we will obtain your vehicle year/make/model information to ensure compatibility and that correct componentry has been ordered. We also recommend using our handy Yakima Fit-Order Guide below to verify compatibility.
PLEASE NOTE: The Yakima Mako Saddles are sold as a 1/2 set (one pair), providing you the option to combine the Mako 1/2 set with the Yakima HullyRollers 1/2 set (one pair) for effortless single-person kayak loading or using a full set (two pair) of Mako Saddles when kayak loading is not a primary concern.
We highly recommend a pair of locking kayak straps to protect your boat from theft (all locking kayak straps sold separately; see accessory add-ons above).
You can lock the Mako Saddles kayak rack to your automobile's base rack crossbars by purchasing Yakima Accessory Lock Housing units (not included; see accessory add-ons above).
If loading kayak from the rear of the vehicle, the Thule 854 Water Slide Mat (not included; see accessory add-ons above) is an economical solution for simultaneously protecting your vehicle and also gaining extra assistance when loading and unloading a boat.
QUICK ORDERING SOLUTION
Alternatively, we suggest using our easy Yakima Racks automated fit guide to quickly order the correct multi-purpose base roof rack system and/or kayak carriers if you don't have one already installed: